To bring together representatives from government agencies, academia, professional groups, private corporations and non-profit organizations from the region, among others, to discuss the status of oral health in their countries and help develop proposals to improve oral health across the social spectrum.
Participating countries in this first gathering will include Barbados, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago and Puerto Rico.
A summit to share knowledge and strengthen partnerships for oral health improvement in the Caribbean
The Caribbean Oral Health Initiative, the University of Puerto Rico School of Dental Medicine and Colgate-Palmolive are pleased to convene the summit “Engaging the Caribbean Region for Oral Health”. The event follows up conversations between Colgate and key oral health leaders to advance a collaborative approach to improve oral health across the Caribbean Region.
The purpose of the summit is to facilitate a discussion on oral health and to leverage resources to promote oral health in Caribbean countries through health promotion, health care and research.
- To promote awareness of the oral health status of the participating countries
- To review each country’s oral health workforce, policies and surveillance system
- To identify challenges, priorities, successful practices and opportunities for networking and collaboration
- To identify gaps in the knowledge base and establish an oral health research agenda for the region
- Location: Caribe Hilton Hotel, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Date: November 13-14, 2013
- A person from each participating country will present that country’s Oral Health Report.
- Agree on Key Regional Oral Health needs
- Establish collaborative work plans with timelines
- To ensure continuity and sustainability
- Preventive programs
- Grenada Project roll out
- Research agenda
- Publish event summary, work plan
- Identify resources for Caribbean’s “Alliance for a Cavity-Free Future” chapter